Wednesday, May 5, 2010

MODELS AND WORKSHOP

















Several people have asked me where I do my model building......amongst other things. Luckily being "empty nesters" we have bedrooms we don't even use, other than the dawg, so one has been converted into a mini-shop so to speak.
For any modellers that access this blog you can see that a Bluenose is the current project with HMS Surprise lurking under a bed as the next major project. You can also see in the pics that I build my own sanding blocks in different sizes and grits. The larger one's have very flexible bases for finishing off hulls without flattening any of the contours. The sanding unit is incredibly useful plus I have a selection of Dremel tools which certainly take some of the drudgery out of the work. I've found that expensive brushes are well worth the investment but much experimentation is required in the finishing on scrap wood before going anywhere near the model.
I'm anal about keeping everything clean and tidy and, just as on my boat, everything has a place and there is a place for everything. Can't abide having to look for anything.
I'll add to this particular segment of my blog if I see there is any interest.




No comments:

Post a Comment